Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Clemens: "I Did Not Take Steroids"

Roger Clemens, the most notable name on the Mitchell Report, has finally released a statement through his agent, Randy Hendricks.


"I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in face, my entire life. Those substances represent a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take. I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell's report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgement."

The time between the release of the Mitchell Report and Clemens' statement has resulted in the "benefit of the doubt" he talks about go right out the window. There are talks of Clemens having to face the Grand Jury, which would certainly put him in the same sentence as McGwire, Palmiero and Sosa should he be found guilty of lying.

Clemens and Pettitte are the two players that stayed loyal to Brian McNamee after he left the Yankees, Clemens has been quoted as saying he is a one-of-a-kind trainer. 

The next time Clemens is available for comment is not known, but you can bet your bottom dollar he's going to face tough questions from the media. 

No comments: